[LDAPCon 2015] Draft Call for Papers

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Fri Jan 23 19:23:26 CET 2015

Michael Ströder wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Andrew Findlay wrote:
>> Here is the first draft of the call for papers.
>
> thanks for working on this so quick.
> I agree with most of it.
>
>> Deadlines & Important Dates
>>
>>      Submission Deadline: 6th September 2015
>>      Author Notification: 28th September 2015
>
> Isn't that a bit late?
> The final program is *the* premise for people booking the event. We have to do
> some PR work which takes time.
> And employees probably have to ask their boss for traveling budget etc.
>
> => IMO the program should be on-line at *least* 2,5 months before the event.

Agreed, we need to give people time to make their travel plans. This
part of the timeline should be much earlier.

>> Main presentations should last about 45 minutes including discussion;
>> we will also provide smaller slots of 15 minutes and 5 minutes for
>> lightning talks.
>
> I'm not sure whether 5 min talks makes sense. IMHO they don't.

Probably does no harm to make it available. If no submissions come in we
haven't lost a huge amount of time, but we might get more submissions
from people who aren't prepared to create a bigger presentation.

>> For the conference proceedings we expect you to submit a paper (not just
>> slides, please)
>
> We never demanded that yet. Some people might be discouraged by having the
> extra work.

I seem to recall that actual papers were solicited before.

--
   -- Howard Chu