[LDAPCon 2015] Dinner venues

Andrew Findlay andrew.findlay at skills-1st.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 13:59:30 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 12:30:34PM +0100, Stephen Quinney wrote:

> Where did 77 people come from? I thought we were expecting 50 at most?

That is the number from the 2013 conference. It is what we are using
in the budget spreadsheet.

> The Dunard library would definitely be out. I think the Main Hall is
> very nice but it might be far too large for that number. I wasn't so
> keen on the cafe area (it really does feel like a cafe...).

Yes - a shame really, as the pictures of the main hall are quite
spectacular. We don't want to rattle around in an over-large space
though.

> I note that The Cellar Door restaurant (which I was quite favouring)
> is also ruled out by that number, it can only take up to 60.

I think we have to allow for expansion to at least 80, and I hope that
50 would be the absolute minimum.

> > > Surgeons Hall
>
> I doubt menu choices are a problem, this is a fairly prestigious venue
> which could handle anything we need.

Good

> For a larger number I will need to contact them again as we were
> quoted for the Fellows library which is limited to 55. The Playfair
> Hall can take up to 175.

That sounds a bit large (similar to the Hub??)

> > > Dovecot Studios
> > > ===============
> > >
> > > Details attached. There is a choice of caterers, I've not contacted
> > > any of them yet. The venue hire would be £800.
> >
> > Not too clear which space we would use here. Overall cost depends on
> > caterer.
> >

> They quoted us for "The Ladies Baths" and the "public sector"
> rate. That room can take up to 96 people.

Numbers about right there, but I am not sure which room that is: their
interactive tour is very nice but it does not have labels! The main
weaving floor looks fantastic, but the other rooms I could find feel
like classrooms.

Andrew