[Fim4l] [refeds] Deprecating eduPersonTargetedID

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Fri Apr 5 18:15:44 CEST 2019

* Jiri Pavlik <jiri.pavlik at mzk.cz> [2019-04-05 18:08]:
> thanks a lot comments, Peter. I can see that IdPs in eduID.at still
> need to release eduPersonTargetedID for Elsevier SP at least.

No they don't. I just explained why in my previous email.
(TL;DR: By sending SAML 2.0 persistent NameIDs instead of sending SAML
2.0 persistent NameIDs wrapped into a legacy SAML Attribute.)

You may be able to find a very small number of other SPs in our
metadata that request ePTID but do NOT support persiststent NameIDs at
this time, I'd have to check.

> Have you already tried to encourage Elsevier to request pairwise-id
> instead of eduPersonTargetedID?

Doing that would be easier (and have a greater chance of success than
zero) if such a request were backed by an international agreement of
some kind, say, a guidelines document from a library-driven group with
diverse membership, let's call it... FIM4L?

-peter