[Fim4l] Short introduction

Gragert, Gerrit gerrit.gragert at sbb.spk-berlin.de
Mon Apr 8 15:36:16 CEST 2019

Hi Folks,

I just read the twitter announcement from the AARC-Project about this mailing list some days ago and I would be happy if you let me join not only the discussion but also active participation. Although I or my institution wasn't member of AARC, I'm following the project and the results quite a while now. So because I'm new here, let me introduce myself:

My name is Gerrit Gragert and I'm working in the State Library Berlin. Amongst other things, my job is to provide and control access to our electronic resources. So, I became interested in federated identity and access management, because we as a library are both: identity and service provider. And when I compare our technical architecture in the house with the AARC Blueprint Architecture, I would say that a part of us is in every layer of the blueprint...

But our library's view might be slightly different from other libraries i.e. at universities: although we have a lot of patrons, we do not have "associated scientist" at our institution. Most of our patrons already have an (federated) identity at their home organization, so it would break up single-sign-on if we supply them with a second identity in the federation. Therefore, I'm interested in secure and privacy-preserving ways to provide entitlements and other attributes to our services as well as third-party service-providers / end-services for those of our patrons who have an identity somewhere else.

I'm looking forward to discuss these and other issues with you and maybe to find practical solutions to this, which may also affect any kind of "virtual organizations" in digital humanities or research data management and so on.

Regards,

   Gerrit

--
Gerrit Gragert, M.A.
Ltg. IT-Services fuer die Digitale Bibliothek

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Potsdamer Str. 33
10785 Berlin

Tel.: +49 30 266-43 22 30
Fax: +49 30 266-33 20 01