[Fim4l] Short introduction

Bernd Oberknapp bo at ub.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Apr 9 16:27:19 CEST 2019

Hi,

most content provider platforms work with fixed customer accounts, and a
user is always mapped to a single customer account, either based on IP
ranges or information provided by FIM. So while FIM could provide the
information which resources from multiple customer accounts should be
available to a specific user, most content provider won't be able to
give the user access to that set of resources.

For example University of Freiburg and a special information service
have two different customer accounts for a content provider, and a user
is always mapped to one of them. In order to provide access to both the
resources licensed by University of Freiburg and the special information
service to a user entitled to access both, a separate customer account
with the combined resources and a specific mapping to that customer
account would be nessecary. There are lots of special information
services and even more combinations of licensed resources -  this
obviously doesn't scale.

There are some exceptions like SpringerLink, but the way this is handled
today is quite confusing - it is possible to login multiple times with
accounts from differnt institutions (or even the same institution) and
the status message at the bottom of the page still shows "Not logged
in". This only changes when a registered SpringerLink account is used to
login.

Best regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Oberknapp
Gesamtleitung ReDI

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Universitätsbibliothek
Platz der Universität 2 | Postfach 1629
D-79098 Freiburg        | D-79016 Freiburg

Telefon:  +49 761 203-3852
Telefax:  +49 761 203-3987
E-Mail:   bo at ub.uni-freiburg.de
Internet: www.ub.uni-freiburg.de