[Fim4l] Research & Education Federations survey

Tom Barton tbarton at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 29 22:44:26 CEST 2019

Dear Colleague,

We would value your insights as we explore the future of access to
research and scholarly services.

SHARE YOUR OPINIONS IN A SURVEY

More than 60 countries collaboratively operate a global federated
identity infrastructure that enables scholars, researchers, students,
and staff to login to academic resources and services. This
infrastructure helps to enable research and scholarly activities by
giving users a simple single sign-on experience using their home
institution credentials.

The international organisation representing this global effort, called
REFEDS <https://refeds.org/>, is undertaking a strategic review of how
the global identity infrastructure affects individuals and what
circumstances may arise over the next 10-15 years that operators of this
global infrastructure should anticipate and prepare for. Please share
your input via the following survey, which should take about 20 minutes:

https://forms.gle/MdZM3FXN6nsj7Krn8

If this link is not accessible, please contact
federation2-survey at lists.refeds.org
<mailto:federation2-survey at lists.refeds.org>.

OR PARTICIPATE IN A FOCUS GROUP DISCUSSION

If you would prefer to share your feedback interactively, we are hosting
live discussions via video conference based on the survey questions, at
the times below. Join us by connecting to
https://internet2.zoom.us/j/8853848902at the times listed below (and at
this calendar)
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=of1k8hh8q6ibkfgt7gh4efa40g%40group.calendar.google.com>.

UTC

date

Sydney

Tokyo

New Delhi

Kampala

London,

Kinshasa

New York,

Santiago

San Francisco

M 4/29

4:00a T 4/30

3:00a T 4/30

11:30p

9:00p

7:00p

2:00p

11:00a

T 4/30

11:00p

10:00p

6:30p

4:00p

2:00p

9:00a

6:00a

W 5/1

11:00a

10:00a

6:30a

4:00a

2:00a

9:00p T 4/30

6:00p T 4/30

W 5/8

10:00p

9:00p

5:30p

3:00p

1:00p

8:00a

5:00a

W 5/8

1:00a H 5/9

midnight

8:30p

6:00p

4:00p

11:00a

8:00a

M 5/13

9:00a T 5/14

8:00a T 5/14

4:30a T 5/14

2:00a T 5/14

midnight

7:00p

4:00p

T 5/14

1:00a W 5/15

midnight

8:30p

6:00p

4:00p

11:00a

8:00a

Some additional times may be offered in the second half of May: check
the Working Group
<https://wiki.refeds.org/display/GROUPS/Federation+2.0>page for more
details.

AND SHARE WITH OTHERS

We also ask that you forward this request to others you think may have a
perspective on this topic, either as a user, a planner, or an enabler.

We hope to have your responses by Friday, May 10.

Thank you very much!

Tom Barton, University of Chicago and Internet2

Judith Bush, OCLC

Co-chairs, REFEDS Federation 2.0 Working Group
<https://wiki.refeds.org/display/GROUPS/Federation+2.0>

Federated Identity infrastructure:
https://library.educause.edu/resources/2019/1/7-things-you-should-know-about-federated-identity

Scenario planning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenario_planning