[Fim4l] New Email Forum for Service Providers

Nicole Harris nicole.harris at geant.org
Sun Jul 14 14:50:11 CEST 2019

Hi Klaas

Yes indeed this group has been discussed with the REFEDS Steering Committee and was presented at the last REFEDS meeting for comment. There are a number of reasons why this approach has been agreed:

1.  REFEDS is indeed both open and inclusive and we try to ensure that most of our activities are free to participation from anyone.  However being inclusive isn’t just about letting everyone in to everything, it’s about being open and accepting to ideas from diverse groups.  SPs have suggested that it would be useful to them so the SC thinks it is worth the experiment.
2.  We’ve struggled to get the SP voice heard at all at REFEDS despite being open.  If this is a way to bridge that disconnect, its worth a shot.
3.  Discussion on the REFEDS list has declined significantly over the years - this is common in large groups (see Dunbar’s Number.  There are currently 411 subscribers to the main REFEDS list).  When discussion does happen it can be an intimidating space for newcomers or non-frequent posters due to the level of expertise of some of the group.  We need to look at as many different ways as possible to keep conversation flowing and this is one way to address that concern.
4. FOG is not just for incident response, it is a group for federation operations discussions that was set up with exactly the same premise as that requested by the SPs…a space where they can talk freely amongst themselves. It is hard to justify one and not the other.
5.  If we can’t meet this need, it will just happen elsewhere and we will struggle even more to be part of the conversation.  We already have a very high number of spaces where R&E SAML federation conversations are happening (RA21, REFEDS, FIM4R, FIM4L, AEGIS etc) and it would be good not to layer even more into that space when our resources are limited.

To help assuage your fears though, here are some other points:

 - there will inevitably be IdPs in the group anyway as many SPs are also IdPs. They are just asked to be “SP First” within the group setting.
 - FOG has found it useful to invite several “friends” from SP, infra, IdP groups to participate to enrich the conversation. I imagine the SPOG group would be open to this too.
 - to address the lack of discussion on the main list, we are looking at sending out some more regular updates to REFEDS on the work of the individual working groups (possibly quarterly) and that will be an ideal time to encourage discussion points from the groups back into an open space.

I hope that helps

Nicole
--
Nicole Harris
Head of Trust and Identity Operations

PGP key Fingerprint: 4017 2E40 13D4 9DA7 68E1 8ADB 3F11 9CDB FC48 6216

Networks • Services • People

Learn more at www.geant.org<http://www.geant.org>

GÉANT Vereniging (Association) is registered with the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam with registration number 40535155 and operates in the UK as a branch of GÉANT Vereniging.  Registered office: Hoekenrode 3, 1102BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands. UK branch address: City House, 126 -130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ, UK.