[Fim4l] Scopus

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Sat Jul 20 13:24:51 CEST 2019

* Jos Westerbeke <jos.westerbeke at eur.nl> [2019-07-19 19:23]:
> I think we (Erasmus University) have such a 'Recommendation 5b' example with ScienceDirect.
>
> We exchange the urn:mace:dir:attribute-def:eduPersonTargetedID
> attribute (Persistant Identifier) with Elsevier.

JFYI, if this is using the SAML 2.0 protocol then the above is not
legal according to the relevant specification governing use of
eduPerson attributes within SAML:
These attribute names were already declared "legacy names" (section
2.2.1) even for use with SAML 1.x back in 2008 when the MACE-Dir SAML
Attribute Profiles[1] were published, but for SAML 2.0 "[t]he legacy
names assigned for use with the SAML 1.x attribute profile MUST NOT be
used with this profile" (section 3.2, p.11, lines 367f)

If not even our own community (!) adheres to our own community
standards (!) then it's no wonder this is all such a big mess...

> you'll stay anonymous, based on a persistent identifier.

Nit: If the SP recieves a persistent identifier (i.e., one that
doesn't change from session to session) the subject is not "anonymous"
but merely "pseudonymous", at least under GDPR terminology.
(This matters to those of us that have to compy with GDPR because
"anonymous data" isn't personal data and doesn't fall under GDPR, but
"pseudonymous" is personal data just as if it were not pseudonymised.)

> Now, you're offered by Elsevier to voluntarily 'activate
> personalization'. Whatever you fill in there, it will be bound to
> the persistent identifier. And there you'll have your own build
> profile, even with 'fake' name and email, as I did with my spam
> Yahoo email address.

Since this has now ben brought up twice here on this list (leifj, jos):
Are people seriously suggesting to recommend to subjects to lie and
provide false data to service providers (potenially violating those
SP's Terms of Use) in the context of us here trying to establish best
practices?
If that's the *only* way to keep some of our basic rights when
confronted with the processes forced upon us by publishers then I
think we've already failed and a more constructive approach is warranted.
E.g. challenging those requirements that in order to get
personalisation I would have to provide my name (and possibly email
address, unless I actually intend to recieve emails from them),
instead of just ticking a box that I want them to use the identifer
already provided.

> And as you said Peter S., Elsevier is also able to build a personal
> profile based on the persistent identifier, but they must find the
> information themselves, with advanced algorithms e.g. Which they do
> not, according to Meshna. But I think this goes beyond our scope.

There's nothing remotely advanced or algorithmic about simply
reading/using an attribute that has been sent. (That's the point of
having federation-enabled software.)

And if actually protecting the privacy of subjects accessing
institutionally licensed resources really isn't within scope of this
work I'm beginning to understand some of the criticism that the RA21
effort was met with.
But maybe you're only saying that federation isn't possible without
trust. And while trust there usually comes in forms of
cryptographically signed messages sometimes all we have to rely on is
the statement of a single non-management-level employee that they are
not using data already provided to them?
That's fine but I still think we could do better than that, no?

-peter

[1] http://macedir.org/docs/internet2-mace-dir-saml-attributes-latest.pdf