[Fim4l] CoCo / attributes for authorization

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Wed Mar 20 21:55:35 CET 2019

* Jiri Pavlik <jiri.pavlik at mzk.cz> [2019-03-20 21:18]:
> do you handle multiple contracts in Austria, Peter?

ACOnet (the hat I'm wearing for this effort) does not handle
e-resource contracts on behalf of institutions at this time.

In many cases there's no central legal entity that holds these
contracts but individual (per-publisher) consortia where each
institution licenses individually, but all buying "in-bulk" for
cheaper licenses.
Cf. https://konsortien.at run by https://www.obvsg.at

> University subscribes different content sets for different user
> groups with a provider.

That use-case may exist but is not handled (well, or at all) by the
eduPerson(Scoped)Affiliation attribute the guideline document (and
Peter's email) recommended, AFAIR.
So I was merely commenting on the use of the common-lib-terms
entitlement attribute instead of the eduPerson(Scoped)Affiliation
attribute but for the /same/ use-case, i.e., site-licenses that do not
differentiate per department or similar schemes.
If that is what you need you'll need something else anyway.

FWIW, I'm not aware of such licensing differentiation going on in
Austria. AFAIK both publishers and institutions prefer to licese for
the institutional core constituencies and not per department.
(The publisher probably for higher total fees and the institutions for
lower per-capita costs and lower management effforts, I'm guessing.)

But I can ask around or get someone e.g. from OBVSG subscribed to this
list, if you think that would help. OBVSG knows what's going on in .at
but does not have the technical knowledge, that's more on our side.)

Best,
-peter