[Fim4l] CoCo / attributes for authorization

Peter Gietz peter.gietz at daasi.de
Thu Mar 21 16:26:27 CET 2019

One more thing on entitlement vs scoped affiliation: If we want to quote
state of the art avangarde, we might also quote AARC documents, namely
"Guidelines on expressing group membership and role information" [1],
which recommends the usage of eduPersonEntitlement in a different way
than defined in eduPerson, namely to contain group or role information
instead of "indicat[ing] a set of rights to specific resources". In that
case the computation of the actual access rights would again be on the
SP side based on the group or role information. Such a group could e.g.
be member of the chemical department of University XYZ, who could be the
only users interested in a chemical journal. This would not per se
prevent interdisciplinarity, because a contract for that chemical
journal could also include members in the department biochemistry or
even biology.

A more general remark on this: the mode where SP computes is the defacto
standard in SAML, which we can see that Attribute statements are very
common and implemented, whereas authorization statements, specified in
the same standard documents rather ist not.

On the other hand we should IMO not recommend (to libraries, our target
group) to use another AARC result, namely "Specification for expressing
resource capabilities" from December 2018[2] which is more in-line with
the original idea of eduPersonEntitlement, namely defining access rights
to resources.

[1]
https://aarc-project.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AARC-JRA1.4A-201710.pdf
(October 2017)