[Fim4l] FIM4L guidelines

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Wed May 15 12:07:34 CEST 2019

* Jos Westerbeke <jos.westerbeke at eur.nl> [2019-05-15 09:51]:
> I think we made a lot of progress and two (principle) choices appear
> already on the surface: 5.a and 5.b in the Guidelines document.

Nick pointed out to me that in the US many IDPs release personal data
(so-called "directory data") to all SPs in order to get many of them
working with one simple configuration.

None of the methods I suggested (how existing SAML 2.0 Metadata for an
SP should be used to express also the lack of data needed: just dont
request any data!) would work in this case.

So I'll look some more into the effects on existing popular SAML
implementations to find out just how bad a "nagative" category (one
that mandates to NOT send any personal data to such SPs, not even
stable pseudonymous identifiers) would be and whether it could be made
to work. I'll report back here once I know more about this.

FYI, the plan would be to codify at least 5.a and 5.b from the
guidelines into categories, but phrase them in a positive way where
possible): 5.a would be something like the "privacy star" that does
not need (and MUST NOT process) any attributes except for access
control and possible statistical reporting. Ideally it would be
desirable to get this "trust mark" for an SP. (One may dream, right?)
(That would also contain prescriptions for how the SAML metadata would
have to look: E.g. no NameIDFormats or only "transient", subject-id
Entity Attribute of "none", no RequestedAttribute elements other than
a "whitelisted" number of attrs for authz/statistics. This should
enable consistent creation/curation of metadata for such SPs across
federations, cultures and countries while reducing any signals to zero
that would cause an ordinary IDP -- one that doesn't release data to
anyone. The inconsistency in application by federations would still
remain in whether /this/ or /another/ or no category will be
assigned. But if its this it would have rules attached that minimize
the chance of unwanted data being transferred/processed.)

5.b would then maybe be something like "subject tracking and
personalisation possible" (so spelling out the danger right away with
the possible feature) and would *only* have a persistent pseudonyous
identifier as part of the MUST set (pairwise-id, possibly with allowed
fallbacks to persistent NameID or eduPersonTargetedID) in addition to
the data in 5.a
I'm still abit undecided wrt optional data but I think all that should
then come from the subject herself: We help enable that by making a
stable but pseudonymous identifier available, the rest should be up
the SP and the subject. So 5.b probably only differs in the identifier
from 5.a.

I'm not certain what, if anything, we'd do about 5.c (SPs needing more
data). Probably nothing other than recommending such SPs to opt into
the GEANT Data Protection Code of Conduct (v2, really) since at that
point the SP will probably have to provide added incentive for IDPs to
*release* that data, not to avoid the release.

-peter