[Fim4l] Elsevier unilaterally shutting down pseudonymous access to institutionally licensed resources?

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Wed Sep 4 11:56:58 CEST 2019

Prompted by a local support request I tried to verify that federated
logins to https://www.sciencedirect.com/ are still working -- only to
find out that in order to log I'm requested to register an account
(even after having logged in successfully via my institution[1]) by
providing an email address and, later on, also my full name:

"Enter your email to continue with ScienceDirect"
"Email is required"
"Your given name is required."
"Your family name is required."

I obviously didn't get the memo about how it was agreed that all
anonmous/pseudonymous use of institutionally licensed resources has
been shut down?!

Best regards,
-peter

[1] The SAML IDP I used to log in has a contract with Elsevier and is
sending the agreed upon data via SAML (the "common-lib-terms"
entitlement as well as a "persistent" SAML NameID) -- same as it
always had.