[Fim4l] Elsevier unilaterally shutting down pseudonymous access to institutionally licensed resources?

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Wed Sep 4 12:28:25 CEST 2019

* Peter Schober <peter.schober at univie.ac.at> [2019-09-04 11:57]:
> in order to log I'm requested to register an account (even after
> having logged in successfully via my institution[1]) by
> providing an email address and, later on, also my full name:

Note that while there have been comments about Elsevier and manual
registration on this list earlier this year those were all in the
context of the subject herself wanting to make use of personalisation:

* Bernd Oberknapp <bo at ub.uni-freiburg.de> [2019-07-18 16:55]:

* Koren, Meshna (ELS-AMS) <M.Koren at elsevier.com> [2019-07-18 22:18]:
> We (Elsevier [...]) tie a targetedID to an 'Elsevier user account'
> which is created in our database when a user decides to 'activate
> personalization'

Whereas right now I'm prompted to disclose personal information to
simply log in to the site[1], without requesting anything at all, esp
not the activation of personalisation features?

-peter

[1] https://www.sciencedirect.com/ -> Sign in -> Sign in via your
institution -> (log at inst. in and return) -> "Welcome. Enter your
email to continue with ScienceDirect" / "Email is required".