[Fim4l] Elsevier Federated Authentication changes (was RE: Hello and brief intro)

Leif Johansson leifj at sunet.se
Wed Sep 18 09:06:55 CEST 2019

On 2019-09-18 00:22, Koren, Meshna (ELS-AMS) wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
>
> Thanks for your question.
>
> We are not going to change our metadata in the federations.
>
> Elsevier SP requires an entitlements attribute through some federations but not all. The reason we don't require it through all federations, yet, is our historical implementation and the fact if we start requiring it from all IdPs, those that aren't able to release it would lose access. We would like to require it as a rule but that is currently just not possible. Adding an entitlement attribute as a requirement to our metadata when we aren't able to honor it would be misleading.
>
> Elsevier SP recommends the release of ePTID or a Persistent NameID that is being used for personalization. We recommend its release but we don't require it.
>
> We don't need any other user attributes and those are that being sent to us are just being ignored.
>
> Kind regards,
> Meshna

This brings up an important point: whatever this group agrees to in
terms of signalling for privacy-focused attribute release we have to
think about how to transition from whatever is done today to how we
want things to work tomorrow.

Any such transition will likely look like a breaking change for the
SP for much the same reasons so its probably a good idea for us to
think about and discuss some transition strategies.

On idea might be to have multiple SPs for the same entity and involve
the federation operator to make a choice to facilitate the transition
by filtering one or the other entity. The local federation op is often
the one that can communicate with IdP etc

	Cheers Leif