[Fim4l] Question about library/publisher reporting

Bernd Oberknapp bo at ub.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jul 16 18:02:16 CEST 2020

Hi Heather,

there have been discussions to use SAML to transmit information (e.g.
group membership) to publishers and then break the usage reports down by
that information, which has been discussed before and would be possible
by using extended COUNTER Master Reports, but that doesn't seem to be
the goal? Is the intention to protect access to the usage reports by
SAML? That would be possible for the administrative web sites, but I
don't think that it would make sense for the COUNTER_SUSHI API since
that would add a lot of complexity. I'm a member of the group that has
written the COUNTER specification, and the intention was to keep this as
simple a possible which is why a) only the methods listed in section 8.2
of the Code of Practice are permitted and b) the parameters are simply
passed in the URL, including the authentication information.

Best regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Oberknapp
Gesamtleitung ReDI

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Universitätsbibliothek
Platz der Universität 2 | Postfach 1629
D-79098 Freiburg        | D-79016 Freiburg

Telefon:  +49 761 203-3852
Telefax:  +49 761 203-3987
E-Mail:   bo at ub.uni-freiburg.de
Internet: www.ub.uni-freiburg.de