[Fim4l] LexisNexis Advance

Jos Westerbeke jos.westerbeke at eur.nl
Wed Mar 17 09:31:17 CET 2021

Hi Meshna,

On 15/03/2021, 17:37, "Koren, Meshna (ELS-AMS)" <M.Koren at elsevier.com> wrote:
Hi Jos,
Please also look into the REFEDS entity categories and the recent work there. If your recommendations to librarians propose some new concepts or terminology (transitory access), or parallel decision making, that's going to cause a lot of confusion.

We are aware of and very appreciate the work of Seamless Access and REFEDS and its two (brand)new entity categories "Anonymous" and "Pseudonymous". They functionally align with FIM4L recommendations resp. 4.A and 4.B.

We (on this FIM4L list) have chosen (early 2019) not to use the word anonymous because it pretends that you are anonymous, which is not, or at least disputable. But I agree (and we all perhaps) for the understanding and clarity the naming 'anonymous' is more clear. In the highly sensitive library privacy world they are watching us, and you can expect articles from e.g. Scholarly Kitchen contesting our privacy claims. Hence, we named it "Transitory" and "Personalized" referring to the functionality rather than the privacy. But aligning the wording with the now official REFEDS entity categories is something to consider for a next version. Has been noted😉

Best,
Jos