[Fim4l] a few meta-comments about the LexisNexis Advance Thread

Koren, Meshna (ELS-AMS) M.Koren at elsevier.com
Wed Mar 17 13:29:20 CET 2021

Hi Jiri,

I will send you a separate email, listing user accounts you already have with us...

There are two different things;

1. institutional entitlements -

Institutions pay for access and they also want to know what the real usage is, such as COUNTER reports, so it's not possible to get joint entitlements of multiple institutions at the same time. If you got access both NLT and Zlin at the same time, and downloaded an article from a journal to which both institutions happen to subscribe to, we wouldn't know whether to report the download through NLT or Zlin account, and it wouldn't be right to report it through both; that's just one example of why that's not possible (today, anyhow).

So as a user, if you have the rights to access Elsevier through mutliple institutions, you need to make a choice through which one you will get access. If you want to change the institution, you'll first need to sign out and then sign in via other means.

2. user identity -

This is what I was referring to; your user account is in your control and you should be able to sign in to it (and see your personal features) regardless of which institution you have access... although that may be tricky, too, because some personal features are linked to institutional subscriptions and you aren't able to view them without also having access to the product.

Now some users already have multiple user accounts (that's your situation) due to historical reasons and those can't be merged, the only solution is for them to contact our helpdesk and have the accounts they don't need, deleted.

The problem we have solved is in that when a user has one Elsevier account, but they change institution, or their institution changes access methods, or institution changes entityID or pseudonymous IDs, those user can sign in to their existing user account with their new credentials. And users can also add additional emails to their account to be sure they can still sign in to it after they don't have institutional email anymore...

In most cases what happens is that a user signs in with their new credentials, click on 'register' or 'crete account' and when they provide email, we detect and existing account and if they are able to confirm they are the owner of that mailbox, we will link their new credentials to their existing account. That's what you should try.

Kind regards,
Meshna