[Fim4l] a few meta-comments about the LexisNexis Advance Thread

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 22 12:53:22 CET 2021

* Jiri Pavlik <jiri.pavlik at techlib.cz> [2021-03-17 15:16]:
> I managed to link my institutional account to my personal e-mail address.
> That's great.

I shouldn't have to explain any of this but anyway:

By avoiding the requirement for the subject to log in from their home
institution you're also preventing that institution from having a say
in whether that subject should be able to access those resources --
when it's that institituion that's likely paying for that access.

So while "account linking" may seem "great" that cannot transfer the
right to access institutionally licensed resoures to arbitrary
external identities logging in from other services.

At the very least the SP would have to regularly force the subject to
renew the "account linking" with the institutionally provided account
in order to allow access to institutionally licensed resource when
logging in from /other/ services -- but how regularly? And does the
institution have a say in that?
While Meshna will be able to tell us how Elsevier implements this what
about *other* SPs that offer the same "convenience"?

Also I guess institutions will also be missing any reporting (e.g. the
newly proposed eduPerson attrribute) for access to "their" licensed
resources then that access is being made avaiable even when not using
the institutional authentication / authorisation service?

So before people are proclaiming the greatness of account linking as a
technical solution to (optional) personalised access to
institutionally licensed resources I'd like to see how the problems
introduced that way should be dealt with, ideally consistently across
Service Providers.

-peter